Newtonbrook's has some pre-WWII homes dating back to the 1920s, but most of it was built in the 1960s and consists of split-level, 1-1/2 storey houses, and bungalows. Along Bayview, home buyers can find newer townhouses.
Newtonbrook is a neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario,Canada. In the 19th century, it was a separate municipality. It is located in the area around Yonge Street and Finch Avenue in the district of North York between the east and west branches of the Don River. North York was a former city that along with five other municipalities was merged to form the new "City of Toronto" in 1998.
Chinese is the top (non-English) language spoken in the area with Korean well behind as the second. Together they make up over 40% of the visible minorities in the area. The area also has significant Russian and Jewish and Iranian minorities.
The average income in the area is above the average for Toronto and a majority of residents live in single detached or semi-detached houses, which they own.
As of the end of 2006, Newtonbrook is northernmost area of City of Toronto affected by the infill development (mainly along the Finch Ave. and Yonge St. corridors). Older detached and semi-detached houses from the 1950s are demolished (or converted to mixed residential-commercial use) and townhouse complexes are built in their place. There is also an increasing number of new custom built homes in this neighbourhood.
NEWTONBROOK EAST–NEWTONBROOK WEST
The kind of suburb now called 20th-century traditional, Newtonbrook East is almost half a century old and conveniently connected to amenities and transportation. The area predominantly features detached homes, with a smattering of apartment buildings. Of historical note, Lester B. Pearson was born in the area in 1897, during Newtonbrook’s former life as a farming community, named (in 1863) for Sir Isaac Newton. The area is becoming increasingly diverse, with growing numbers of Chinese and Iranian residents. A neighbourhood on its way up, Newtonbrook West presents a picture of health. Dallas Road has some strikingly ambitious properties, and the cul-de-sacsoff Drewry Avenue have expansive and imaginatively landscaped spaces.
Prices drop off slightly the farther west you go, moving away from Yonge toward Bathurst, where a lot of building is underway. To the east, the Willowdale corridor has lots ripe for redevelopment, asdoes the area south of Finch.
This region is excellent for long-term investment, since interest in the area is picking up quickly and will eventually match the demand for the coveted Earl Haig school district to the south of Finch.
Newtonbrook was first settled in the early 1800's. This hamlet revolved around saw and grist mills that operated on the east and west branches of the Don River. The spiritual centre of this hard working pioneer community was the Newton Brook Wesleyan Church which was named after Reverend Robert Newton. One of Newtonbrook's earliest settlers was Lieutenant Colonel William S. Durie of the Queens Own Rifles. Durie subdivided part of his Newtonbrook property in 1847 creating what is now known as Drewry Avenue. At first Drewry Street was given the name "Pope's Lane" because so many Roman Catholics built houses here.
Newtonbrook has the third-highest concentration of Jews in the metropolitan area, following only Thornhill-Vaughan and Bathurst Manor. Thirty-seven per cent of residents are Jewish. The area also attracts a large number of recent immigrants. Eight-hundred and sixty households in the area speak Russian, and another 860 speak Hebrew as their primary home language.
One of the central features of the Newtonbrook community is the Jewish Russian Community Centre, affiliated with Chabad, which offers Hebrew, Torah and preschool. Many Russian immigrants have settled in the area directly around the JRCC.
Maon Noam is another centre that services the Jewish Russian community. It holds Shabbat services and cultural programs for recent immigrants.
There are several Sephardic congregations in Newtonbrook. On the north border with Thornhill-Vaughan sits Bet Yoseph Sephardic Congregation, a small congregation of 30 families. Just east of Bathurst is Minyan Sepharad with a membership of 100 families. Tehillat Yerushalimis an Israeli Sephardic congregation located in the Bernard Betel Centre. All synagogues hold Shabbat and holiday services.
Newtonbrook also has numerous Orthodox synagogues. Congregation Bnai Torah strives to be a House of Prayer, Assembly and Study - with daily services, community events and adult study classes. It also has a mikvah. Additionally, Shomer Israel Congregation and Shivtei Yisroel Congregation all hold services.
There are also several Jewish day schools in the neighbourhood. Eitz Chaim Day Schools, an Orthodox school with more than 800 students at three campuses, has a branch on Patricia Avenue for boys from nursery to grade eight. The middle school campus of Associated Hebrew Schools is located on Finch Avenue, east of Bathurst Street and on the border with Armour Heights.
For senior citizens, the Bernard Betel Centre is located in Newtonbrook. This learning and wellness centre holds programs and events, and is committed to maximizing the quality of life for seniors while reflecting Jewish values.
Transportation in Newtonbrook
Newtonbrook's location along the Yonge street corridor provides its residents with quick and easy access to stations on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line. Regular bus service is available on Finch, Steeles, Bayview, Cummer and Drewry Avenues and on Bathurst and Dufferin Streets.
Bayview Avenue and Yonge, Bathurst and Dufferin Streets provide motorists with direct access to Highway 401 on-ramps, south of Sheppard Avenue. These major arterial roadways also usher commuters into the downtown core.
The community has 5 elementary schools, 6 Catholic elementary schools, 2 Jewish elementary schools, and three public high schools. York University is easily accessible via Steeles Ave, and University of Toronto and Ryerson University are easily accessible via Yonge Street subway.
(P) Cummer Valley M.S., 70 Maxome Ave., (416) 395-2260
(P) Lester B. Pearson, 500 Cummer Ave., (416) 395-2650
(P) Lillian, 1059 Lillian St., (416) 395-2660
(P) R. J. Lang E. & M.S., 227 Drewry Ave., (416) 395-2780
(P) Rockford, 60 Rockford Rd., (416) 395-2820
(PH) Drewry, 70 Drewry Ave., (416) 395-3260
(PH) Newtonbrook, 155 Hilda Ave., (416) 395-3280
(PH) Northview Heights, 55 Finch Ave., (416) 395-3290
(CA) St. Agnes, 280 Otonabee Ave., (416) 393-5345
(CA) St. Antoine Daniel, 160 Finch Ave. W., (416) 393-5339
(CA) St. Paschal Baylon, 15 St. Paschal Crt., (416) 393-5283
(CA) Brebeuf College, 211 Steeles Ave. E., (416) 393-5508
(CA) St. Joseph Morrow Park, 3377 Bayview Ave., (416) 393-5516
(CA) Mgr-de-Charbonnel, 110 Drewry Ave., (416) 393-5537
(PJ) Associated Hebrew Schools, 252 Finch Ave. W., (416) 223-4845
(PJ) Eitz Chaim Day Schools, 475 Patricia Ave., (416) 225-1187
(P) Public School
(PH) Public High School
(CA) Catholic School
(PR) Private School
(PC) Private Catholic School
(PJ) Private Jewish School
Saint Agnes Catholic School is a Catholic day on Otonabee Avenue. It hosts approximately 258 students, in 4 portables, as well as a main building complex.
Newtonbrook Secondary School. Known for hosting the biggest number of sports teams in the TDSB.
DAY CARE CENTRES
- McNicholl Child Care . 155 McNicholl Avenue . (416) 499-9743
- Northwood Academy St. Agnes Campus . 280 Otonabee Avenue . (416) 225-0732
- Toronto French Montessori . 53 Cummer Avenue . (416) 250-9952
NORTH YORK'S KOREATOWN
Yonge Street to Bayview Avenue, Highway 401 to Finch Avenue East (Willowdale East) Number of people of Korean origin: 4,345;Total population: 41,060 Percentage of Korean population: 10.6 percent
Bathurst Street to Yonge Street, Finch Avenue West to Steeles Avenue West (Newtonbrook West); Number of people of Korean origin: 41,885;Total population: 20,485;Percentage of Korean population: 9.2 percent
Yonge Street to Bayview Avenue, Finch Avenue East to Steeles Avenue East (Newtonbrook East);Number of people of Korean origin: 41,440;Total population: 15,565; Percentage of Korean population: 9.6 percent
Newtonbrook is situated between the east and west branches of the Don River Valley, providing an attractive natural backdrop and recreational opportunities.
Newtonbrook has access to recreational pathways along both branches of the Done River, and ravine parkland along Newtonbrook Creek.There are over 20 neighbourhood parks, parkettes and playgrounds in the Newtonbrook area, many of which are equipped with bike and walking paths, and even cross-country skiing trails for the winter.The community has 4 indoor ice arenas, numerous tennis courts, baseball diamonds, sports fields, and two community centres.
There is a bowling alley in this plaza at Cummer and Yonge. It's a bit hidden, in the basement.They currently run a special on Sundays, $2 dollars per game per person in the morning hours before 1pm. Shoe rentals are $3.50 each.
GoodLife Fitness (Gym) - Tel: 416-222-9500, 5650 Yonge Street,North York ON M2N4E9
Newtonbrook United Church,Tel: 416-222-5417, 53 Cummer, North York, ON M2M 2E5
Triumph Chinese Evangelical Missionary Church,Tel: 416-773-7722, 89 Centre Ave,
Wellspring Worship Centre, Tel: 416-223-3496, 89 Centre Ave
Willowdale Church Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada, Tel: 416-222-1631, 288 Cummer Ave, North York, ON M2M 2E7
Toronto Life-Spring Christian Fellowship, Tel: 416-322-5105,416-322-8060, 288 Cummer Av, North York, ON M2M 2E7
St Patrick's Church, Tel: 416-225-5151 ,1087 Lillian, North York, ON M2M 3G1
Willowdale Christian Reformed Church, 416-221-7829, 70 Hilda, North York, ON M2M 1V5
Toronto Kanglim Methodist Church, Tel: 416-221-7550, 53 Madawaska, North York, ON M2M 2R2
Korean Mission Alliance Church, 1087 Lillian Street North York ON M2M 3G1 Tel:(416) 221-0530
Immanuel Church (416) 218-8953 236 Finch Avenue East, North York
Joy Women & Children's Mission Society of Canada Tel:(416) 505-7918, 62 Finch Avenue East, Toronto
North York Korean Community Church,83 NIPIGON AVENUE M2M2W3 , NORTH YORK
Willowdale Christian Reformed Church, Tel: 416-221-7829, 70 Hilda, North York, ON M2M 1V5
North York Temple(The Salvation Army), 25 Centre Ave, North York ON M2M 2L4, Tel: 416-225-7968
Toronto Holly Grace Korean Church, Tel: 647-428-7417, 25 Centre Av, North York, ON M2M 2L4
Toronto Korean Al Mil Church, 172 Drewry Ave, North York, Ontario, M2M 1E4, Tel: 416-226-4190
Hanmaum Korean Presbyterian Church, Tel:(416) 225-5662 255 Finch Avenue West, North York
Toronto Korean Al Mil Church, Tel: 416-226-4190, 172 Drewry Ave,North York, Ontario,M2M 1E4
Zoroastrian Society Of Ontario, Tel: 416-733-4586, 3590 Bayview Av, North York, ON M2M 3S6 (Religious Organization about children)
Willowdale Community Christian Assembly, Tel: 416-850-1252 , 172 Drewry Av, North York, ON M2M 1E4
There are a lot of Korean family churches at Cummer Ave, Maxome Ave, Bishop Ave, Madawaska Ave and Conacher Dr.
- Not Just Dim Sum, Cuisines: Chinese, Dim Sum ,(416) 733-8818, 19C Finch Avenue West, North York, ON, M2N 7K4
- Napoli Fine Mediterranean Cuisine, Cuisines: Mediterranean, (416) 590-9339,5949 Yonge St, North York, ON, M2M 3V8
- Bong Soon Sisters, Cuisines: Korean, (416) 225-0904, 5588 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2N 5S2
- Sun Star Chinese Cuisine, Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, (416) 733-2688,636 Finch Avenue East, North York, ON, M2K 2E6
- Alborz Restaurant, Cuisines: Middle Eastern, (416) 226-6564,5907 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3T9
- Laterna Dining Room, Cuisines: American (Traditional), (416) 221-2501,6301 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3X7
- Traditional Korean Restaurant, Cuisines: Korean,(416) 221-0590,6016 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3V9
- Yummis,Cuisines: Deli,(416) 250-1200, 5795 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 4J3
- Apkujung Restaurant, Cuisines: American (Traditional),(416) 229-6248,6309 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3X7
- Sorabol Restaurant, Cuisines: American (Traditional),(416) 227-2552,5649 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3T2
- Ichiban Sushi, Cuisines: Japanese,(416) 226-5022,6212 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3X4
- Smiling Jack's, Cuisines: American (Traditional), (416) 224-1661,5625 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3S9
- Zaffron Restaurant, Cuisines: Persian, (416) 223-7070, 6200 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3X1
- Pickle Barrel (Centrepoint Mall), Cuisines: Family, (416) 226-4444,Centrepoint Mall, North York, ON, M2M 3X4
- Todamgol Korean Rest, Cuisines: Korean, (416) 222-8076 ,5935 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3V7
- Patough Restaurant, Cuisines: American (Traditional), (416) 225-2949, 6347 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3X7
- The Slug And Lettuce, Cuisines: Pub Food,(416) 733-9690,5650 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 4G3
- St Lux Chicken, Cuisines: Other, (416) 226-0654, 6034 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3W5
- Mac Sushi 2000, Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, (416) 224-0579, 6464 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3X4
- Jong-Ro Mandu, Cuisines: Other,(416) 223-2210,6119 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3W2
- Pumpernickel's, Cuisines: Other, (416) 222-2631, 5700 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 4K2
- Darvish Persian Restaurant, Cuisines: Indian,(416) 226-9028, 6087 Yonge St, North York, ON
- Can Do, Cuisines: Other,(416) 512-0100,6099 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3W2
- Yonge-Ichban Sushi, Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi,(416) 222-3014,3 Finch Avenue East, North York, ON, M2N 4P9
- Bukchon, Cuisines: Other,(416) 250-8383,6012 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3V9
- Chung Gi Wha,Cuisines: Other,(416) 225-8090,5817 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3T9
- Dae Jang Kum,Cuisines: Other,(416) 223-2535,5600 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2N 5S2
- Deulac Korean Trattoria, Cuisines: Other,(416) 250-7760,5653 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 3T2,
- Fabi & Vito's Trattoria, Cuisines: Italian,(416) 229-1649,5700 Yonge Street, North York, ON, M2M 4K2
- Tanoor Restuarant Inc, Tel: 416-225-2949 ,6347 Yonge Street Toronto, ON
NEIGHBOURHOOD HOT SPOTS:
Centerpoint Mall Centerpoint features such mall stalwarts as the Bay and Canadian Tire (handy for home renos). 6464 Yonge St., 416-223-9560.
Centerpoint Mall (formerly Towne and Countrye) is a shopping mall located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on the corner of Steeles Avenueand Yonge Street. It is home to Canadian Tire, Zellers, The Bay,Shoppers Drug Mart, and a No Frills. A Beer Store is on the southeast corner of the property. Other tenants include McDonald's, KFC, and Bell.
Tanoor This sprawling hodgepodge of a restaurant—faux stained glass, tapestry-draped walls and picnic-style tables—is delightfully unpretentious, as is the homestyle Iranian fare. 6347 Yonge St., 416-225-2949.
Tov-Li Pizza and Falafel The northern outpost of this kosher eatery offers good, cheap Middle Eastern fare. 5982 Bathurst St., 416-650-9800.
Zaffron In an unusual pairing, an Italian and an Iranian chef work the kitchen here. The smart money goes east; the Iranian dishes on the menu (flatbreads, kebabs) are popular with the growing Persian population at Yonge and Finch. 6200 Yonge St., 416-223-7070.
HONEY FOR MY HONEY, Tel: 905-881-8298, 100 Steeles Avenue West #12, Vaughan, ON L4J 7Y1
There is a newly opened Korean Supermarket near Yonge and Steeles north west corner.
- Bayview Cummer Shopping Centre . (416) 223-0710
- Bayview Village . 2901 Bayview Avenue . (416) 226-0404
- Centrepoint Mall . 6464 Yonge Street . (416) 222-6255
- Newtonbrook Plaza . NE Corner Yonge & Cummer
- Pickle Barrel Plaza . Corner of Leslie & McNicholl
- Main Drug Mart . 3292 Bayview Avenue . (416) 223-3332
- Shoppers Drugmart
- 5845 Yonge Street @ Cummer (Newtonbrook Plaza) . (416) 221-5505
- 2901 Bayview Avenue (Bayview Village) . (416) 225-3380
- 5899 Leslie Street (Pickle Barrel Plaza) . (416) 493-6677
- CIBC . 3315 Bayview Avenue @ Cummer . (416) 223-2211
- TD Bank . 3275 Bayview Avenue @ Cummer . (416) 223-6310
- Bank of Montreal
- 4797 Leslie Street . (416) 493-1090
- 5925 Yonge Street @ Cummer . (416) 221-5561
- Scotia Bank . 2901 Bayview Avenue (Bayview Village) . (416) 590-7960
- Royal Bank . 5460 Yonge Street . (416) 512-4646
- North York Public Library (Main) .
- 5120 Yonge Street (Mel Lastman Square) . (416) 395-5700
- Bayview Branch . 2901 Bayview (Bayview Village) . (416) 395-5460
WHAT WE SOLD
- 65 Centre Ave
- 52 Centre Ave
- 6 Doverwood Dr
- 3 Doverwood Dr
- 19 Moore Park Ave
- 4 Willow Heights Court
- 47 Robinter Dr