Most Important Reason for Selling Home As FSBO
- Did not want to pay commission fee: 49%
- Sold it to a relative / friend / neighbor: 26%
- Buyers contacted seller directly: 11%
- Agent was unable to sell home: 7%
- Did not want to deal with an agent: 4%
- Seller has real estate license: 3%
- Could not find agent to handle transaction: <1%
- Other: <1%
FSBO. For Sale by Owner. Thinking of selling your home yourself and avoid paying the commission? OK so what is the incentive for a qualified buyer to buy your home when a buyer can go to any real estate office and receive a list of homes and peruse those homes and have licensed agent write an offer and negotiate a reduced price all for nothing. The buyer does not pay the commission. Also the N.A.R. studies have revealed that for sale by owners sell for 85% less than listed homes. Here is an analogy. If you bought a pair of shoes at a store and never used them and tried to sell them yourself at a garage sale would you be able to get the same price as the store does. OH! how about a discount broker. Well did you ever hear the saying you get what you pay for? What is the incentive for the discount broker to market your home?
Source: 2009 Profile of Home Buyers & Sellers, (National Association of REALTORS® - Research, 2009).